TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE COLD WEATHER
COLD WEATHER EFFECTS ON THE MIND AND MOOD
Many who live in cold countries look forward to the bright, white, cooling comfort of winter and to the warmth and coziness that await them indoors, while for many others, the bleak unease associated with this season is not limited to the weather pattern; it extends to their states of mind. The resulting negative psychological effects lead to a phenomenon known as The Winter Blues.
Around the world, on the dark side of Winter, many suffer in restless silence as the days shorten, which can negatively impact one’s emotions, energy levels, and even outlook on life. One of the reasons for this seasonal sadness is the fluctuating amount of sunlight we receive. In the Winter, shorter days means fewer hours of sunlight, which helps to regulate our circadian rhythm. This biological process is in control of the sleep cycle, hormones, and metabolism, among various other essential bodily functions, and disruptions to them can lead many to feel sluggish, sad, and stuck.
Colder temperatures also impact immune function, as they often force us to remain indoors along with trapped viruses and bacteria. The cold poses a challenge to the body that is attempting to fight off these harmful germs, as it reduces the speed with which the body begins to work to heal itself. Those who regularly take pleasure in outdoor activities, such as gardening or exercising, may feel disheartened when they are unable to enjoy those activities for long periods of time, which can create a sense of being unaccomplished. Along with this might come other negative thoughts, such as pessimism, body aches, difficulty concentrating, and apathy or despair.
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR COLD WEATHER
Essential Oils are valuable during the colder months not only for their scents, especially those with bright, cheerful, invigorating, and warming fragrances, but also for the anti-bacterial property that many are reputed to exhibit, which helps to facilitate recovery from seasonal illnesses. Furthermore, many of them are known to help ease stiffness and body aches that may arise from shoveling snow or simply from long-term exposure to cold air.
Popular Essential Oils for cold weather include the floral and citrus oils, such as Lemon, Lavender, Grapefruit, and Ylang Ylang – which have uplifting and calming scents that are said to have mood-boosting and uplifting effects on the mind. Oils with cooling qualities, such as Eucalyptus and Peppermint, are commonly used to address symptoms of colds, as they have clarifying and energizing qualities that are reputed to reduce the discomforts of congestion and body aches.
The following list suggests Essential Oils that may help achieve an environment that is more conducive to improved health, both physical and mental, an atmosphere in which vigor is boosted, immunity is improved, encouraging a more optimistic and hopeful perspective as a result. Read on to discover the perfect Essential Oil ideas for those suffering from the Cold Weather Blues…
TOP 10 WARMING ESSENTIAL OILS FOR COLD WEATHER
- CINNAMON BARK ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: This spicy Essential Oil has an exotic, intense aroma that is often reminiscent of baking and other heartening memories. Its warm, subtly woodsy and earthy scent has a brightening and uplifting effect on the mood and is reputed to ease feelings of stress. It has been said to promote relaxation, which not only leads to restful sleep but that is also believed to have potential as an aphrodisiac.
- OREGANO ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: This Essential Oil’s strong scent is spicy, herbaceous, and camphoraceous – characteristic of the herb from which it is derived. It exudes a warm and woodsy but fresh aroma that has a lively yet calming quality, which helps to balance the emotions as well as clear and energize the mind, making it especially ideal for use during spiritual practices.
- THYME ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The strong, penetratingly hot aroma of this herbaceous Essential Oil is reputed to soothe negative feelings, including stress, anxiety, anger, and fatigue. Its stimulating property helps to increase focus, emotional strength, determination, courage, and a positive outlook by encouraging an uplifting sense of relaxation and serenity.
- MARJORAM ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The warm, heady, and sedative aroma of this spicy Essential Oil has nuances of sweetness that is said to invigorate as well as to promote feelings of calmness, inner balance, and mental clarity. By helping to release strong negative feelings of emotional tenseness, whether it is caused by sadness, fear, panic, irritability, or grief, Marjoram Oil is reputed to encourage both physical and mental rest.
- ROSEMARY ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The fresh quality of Rosemary Oil’s woodsy and herbal aroma makes it uplifting and stimulating, properties that make it ideal for enhancing the mood and increasing cerebral activity as well as focus. This strong oil is reputed to encourage feelings of boldness, energy, and freedom.
- JUNIPER BERRY ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The sweet – sometimes bittersweet – and woodsy aroma of Juniper Berry Oil has a fresh, crisp quality that inspires a sense of cleanness and purity when diffused indoors. Its calming and sedative effects, which help to comfort the mind and body, help create favorable conditions that support a spiritual mindset, making it ideal for use during prayer, meditation, and at any time that comfort and calm are needed.
- GINGER ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The warming and energizing qualities of this woody, spicy, and earthy Essential Oil have earned it the nickname the “Oil of Empowerment.” As this name suggests, it is reputed to help replace feelings of weakness, timidity, and stagnation with zeal and fortitude. Ginger Oil is said to be helpful for managing mood fluctuations that are sudden and volatile, making it beneficial for those who suffer from emotional imbalance. The invigorating quality of Ginger Oil also makes it valuable for addressing low libido and an inability to maintain concentration.
- BLACK PEPPER ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: This Essential Oil has a dry, musky, spicy, and – naturally – peppery aroma that is reputed to energize the mind, stimulate circulation, and warm the skin. It is said to be beneficial for supporting general emotional wellness. With a fresh, crisp quality, the aroma of this oil can be diffused to enhance mental focus, clarity, and endurance. Furthermore, it is believed to function as a “truth serum” of sorts, as its aroma is said to promote the ability to reflect on thoughts, feelings, experiences, and behaviour patterns with sincerity, fairness, and conscientiousness.
- CARDAMOM ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The sweet and spicy fragrance of this rich and “exotic” Essential Oil leaves an alluring woodsy trail that is soothing, grounding, and fortifying to the mind. The calming effect of its sensual and seductive aroma helps to uplift the mood, boost energy levels, improve attentiveness, reduce fatigue, anxiety, and stress, and promote emotional stability. It is said to enhance the libido, which also makes it a common ingredient in aphrodisiac Essential Oil blends.
- CLOVE BUD ORGANIC ESSENTIAL OIL: The strong, spicy, and woodsy yet faintly bitter aroma of this warming Essential Oil is evocative of but stronger than the Clove Buds from which it is derived. Its brisk and quickening quality is reputed to help inspire mental clarity for feelings of greater focus and being emotionally-centered. With an uplifting effect on the mood, it is also said to be helpful for inspiring feelings of courage.
While the use of individual Essential Oils is the traditional, classic manner of applying them, their beneficial properties are known to be heightened when they are used in combination with one or more other beneficial Essential Oils, which can help to supplement the positive effects. Oils that are “warming” blend well with most other warming oils, namely any of the abovementioned oils (which do not constitute an exhaustive list), but individual experimentation is encouraged! The final mix will exude a different scent than the original oils on their own would, but the resulting effects will be undoubtedly enhanced. NDA also offers the following ready-to-use blends comprised of 100% pure Essential Oils. These blends are also known as Synergy Blends and contain oils that are both warming and cooling to address various symptoms of seasonal complaints, both physical and emotional:
- Pillager's Potion Synergy Blend: Made up of Clove Bud, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Tea Tree oils.
- Breathe Easy Synergy Blend: Made up of Ravensara, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, and Cardamom oils.
Several, if not all, of the oils in these lists are known to help the body produce sweat, clear congestion, and to have stimulating properties that make them ideal for addressing poor circulation and for revitalizing skin that appears dry, flat, and colorless. They can be diffused, diluted in a warm bath, used to make a room freshener, incorporated into a candle formulation, applied as a roll-on personal scent or body spray, or be added to a massage oil blend, among various other applications.
TOP 6 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR FIGHTING A COLD / THE FLU
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Lavender Organic Essential Oil
- Frankincense Organic Essential Oil
- Peppermint Organic Essential Oil
- Lemon Organic Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Organic Essential Oil
While exercising, taking vitamin supplements, and undertaking Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Light Therapy are traditional and common methods for addressing these symptoms, Essential Oils may help to boost their success. Read on to discover the most popular Essential Oils that are reputed to benefit the body and the mind with their warming effects.
Exclusive Online Store for Nilgiris based on Products
WhatsApp @ 9489614171
List of products to market:
Dried Fruits and Nuts
Nilgiris Fresh Vegetables
Other Nilgiris Handmade Products
Please note that the above mentioned list of products is not exhaustive